Wednesday 29 August 2012

Lost in Boston

After a surprisingly pleasant 10 hour Megabus (I did get two seats to myself) I arrived in Boston introduced myself to some people going to my hostel (also fresh from camp counseling) and we split a cab to the hostel, then it was pretty much straight to bed.
I chose the right hostel as there was free muffins and coffee in the morning, which pretty much made my day and it was only about 8:30 (was still on camp time). I joined the same people for a wander around Boston center, we got free juice, chilled out by the dock, and I cannot forget my amazing peanut butter brownie experience (peanut butter gets me through each day in America, one day I think my veins will start running with peanut butter instead and I with then have to become a cannibal/vampire). The evening was spent in revelry in front of the mini cinema like room in the hostel (there was some singing along to The Lion King happening... I was the only one singing along though... I also spoke along to it too I think).
The next day I went round Boston with a girl not from camp and we got lost, I ate watermelon on the lawns of Harvard, we wandered past MIT, followed the freedom train (well for a bit then we got distracted) and ended the wander with a chill our on a island next to a river. Then I introduced her to Fro Yo (frozen yogurt, there is no way for me to describe how amazing it is). In the evening we settled down with a few beers played pool, met loads of new people, more camp counselors, some Irish men, a french man and others, I danced round the hostel, spoke in a pretty consistent Irish leprechaun accent and lost at pool.
The day after a group of us visited the Samuel Jackson brewery (it was quite an experience), I realised that it is possible to get a baked potato in America (Wendy's it wasn't the best baked potato but it reminded me of home), then it was time to see the Red Sox.
Walking into the stadium was like walking into a film it was amazing I literally felt like I had walked into a set at the beginning the novelty was brilliant and it felt really exciting, then it started to dawn on me while watching the pitch:
1. I have no idea of the rules of baseball
2. Baseball would be much more fun to be at after a few drinks
3. Baseball is a very slow game
4. Enjoying a sport is difficult when you don't know the rules
5. I have no intention of learning the rules of baseball
6. When it gets to about halfway through and you realise 1-5 it's time to call it a night and end on a high
On my last full day I spent the day wandering again with the girl I met in the hostel, again we decided to lose ourselves so hopped on a subway and got off at Ruggles (because it sounded like muggles). At first it didn't seem very exciting we felt like we should maybe turn back, then we found this beautiful little park that ran through a neighborhood that I could see myself living in perfect location, just out of the main city but only a few subway stops away. There was a house with a yellow door I was so tempted to knock on and ask if they had room for a wanderer. We had beautiful cheap chinese which we ate in the Public Park in the center (a beautiful park). In the evening I went back to my hostel played pool with some Irish Men got chatting to some other camp counselors and also two girls who cycled from Toronto to Boston (amazing feat) then it was bed and an early morning for the coach to New York the next morning. All in all I fell a bit in love with Boston I really felt at home by the end of the trip and was quite sad to be leaving.

1 comment:

  1. you paint a fabulous picture of hostel, baseball and boston...I want to experience it with you. Lets hope your american cousin doesn't become a famous baseball star or your decision not to learn the rules may be overturned!
    dying to hear the irish leprechaun accent - it sounds decidedly worrying!

    ReplyDelete